Tuesday 29 April 2008

Nyala, ala, ala, hey, hey.

Continuing my work from last week and aiming to keep myself on track has been an enduring process. I found myself in a frustrating void when contemplating ideas for my Digipak artwork and therefore I’ve only just managed, as of yesterday, to draw a final design at full scale in my sketchbook. The artwork has been almost as hard as designing the initial logo, although this time I had the aid of my music, I still found myself thinking my ideas were too simple or that they weren’t complex enough to fall under the assignment criteria. Another way of thinking was suggested to me during class and once I thought about things, the different things I could do just kept spilling to the point where I’m now bringing my artwork together. Adjustments still need making here and there but I’m happy with the design and its relevance to the music.

Due to the delay in the artwork process, The Wire advertisement has been pencilled in for self study, but this can only be done as soon as I’ve got a completed set of artwork. By looking at the information on the wire’s website, I’ve got a layout that I want to use in mind that’s within budget. I’m not too sure how I feel about this task, advertisements are something that I’ve done during the A6 assignment, but the whole content was given to me and made things slightly easier. A lot of research into the wire magazine and how CDs are advertised is required so that I can get a better understanding of things.

My pre-flight document is currently a work in action, at the moment I’ve got a checklist version of some simple statements that should be done before the artwork goes to print. The content is a bit simple at the moment and needs looking over to make sure that I’ve not forgotten anything from it. Pre-flight has always been a bit vague to me as I’ve never done one before, so my research helped me clear things up slightly.

Due to the bank holiday next week, we won’t be in college, so I’ve got a lot of work to be getting on with as the week after that is submission week and I will only have the Monday in college to gain feedback for last minute amendments.

Therefore, next week I need to:

  • Have completely finished all my artwork, including inner cover and CD body.
  • Have ideas for my advertisement and post them up on my journal for feedback, so that during bank holiday week, I can be bringing the advertisement to a finished state.
  • Complete the pre-flight document(s).
  • Start evaluating the assignment using previous journal entries (and references).

Thanks for reading,
Sue

6 comments:

Tom Smith said...

I'm planning to go a bit later and buy a music magazine, maybe NME or something. From this, I can focus my session of collecting and annotating design work solely on CD advertisements. This will give me a lot better insight into what's normally included in this kind of advert, and how they are structured.

Mark Torrington said...

Sounds like you are on top of your production plan, I to hope to have it
all completed other then the evaluation for next week. I look forward to providing feedback on your artwork.

Greg Carrick said...

Just like you I’ve found the CD artwork hard to design, I also found the logo hard to design, but I thought having the music might help and it did but I felt the designs I did weren’t complex enough to fill the criteria.

I’m still not happy with the current design I've been doing and it looks like I’m going to be very busy until the deadline, as I might end up trying another design.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Sue,

On top of things as usual I see :->

Tom has had another great idea with buying a magazine for ideas - well done Tom.

I really liked some of your original ideas so if you have developed them further then I can't wait to see them.

Keeping in front is a great way to keep the presure down.

Andrew said...

Your idea's are really creative and ambitious, remember the limitations put on designs when it comes to only being able to use Photoshop and try look at these along side your ability with this software. Sometimes it'll be more beneficial to produce less ambitious work to a high standard, than really creative work to a lower standard.

I haven't seen your final CD cover, but from what you were doing when I was viewing it you were along the right lines. I think maybe you need to add some more elements to give the cover abit more impact, one that really can turn heads instead of just blending into the back. Though you might of done with since now you've got a finished piece.

James Bell said...

Advertisements can be a difficult to design as you need to grab the readers attention whilst still getting the required message across.

One good thing about the advert is that it can be used to help provide evidence for 4.4 of the A1 assignment(cultural context). Ensure that the advert is not offensive to anyone would be essential for a large company especially when they are trying to sell you something!!