Tuesday 15 April 2008

Change your font Sue!

The amount of times I've come close to pulling my hair out through insanity this week has made me come to the conclusion that I'm just not cut out for logo design/development. Initially I underestimated just how challenging this task would be and thus created problems for myself. During the logo development, I found myself stuck for creative ideas and suffered from designers block as I found myself thinking overly complicated. Since then I have developed my logo typographically and graphically, thanks to feedback from my peers and I’ve eventually come to a finalised design which I’m happy with. I think that the fact the whole class is designing for the same company is what discouraged me the most. As I looked around the class I felt that my logo wasn’t as good as anyone else, so therefore wasn’t good enough.

Throughout the course of the week, I have started to write up my corporate style guide, the part of this assignment I was looking forward to most, even though I haven’t completed it yet, I am pleased with the content I’ve produced so far. My main focus for my self study work is to get the business card, letterhead and envelope pages done so I can then continue onto designing them.

As the assignment is progressing, I feel that my work is coming together at a nice pace (although the logo design has taken longer than initially anticipated). The fact that each seminar group has had to decide their weekly topics to run alongside the production schedule has helped immensely as this time round each person is more or less on the same track as the next. Which is yet another reason for motivation as I don’t want to be the only person left behind.

Yesterday I received some feedback regarding A6 – Revert to Type, I wasn’t surprised at all when Steve said I had to re-do my presentation. The five minutes of content that I had prepared myself and practised to perfection at home, just went out of the window as soon as I entered the classroom. A waterfall of words just dribbled out of my mouth and I was unable to stop myself from the inevitable running under. Hopefully this won’t happen a second time, fingers crossed!

For next week, I would like to have most of my corporate identity out of the way and be well under way with the stationery designs. Therefore my tasks for next week are:

  • Complete stationery pages in corporate manual, finalise design.
  • Begin design ideas for business cards, letterhead/continuation sheet and envelope.
  • Ensure all development work has been stuck in my sketchbook.
  • Practise presentation again and again, cross fingers!

Thanks for reading,
Sue

3 comments:

James Bell said...

Having to create our own production schedule and organise what we will talk about in each seminar group has, I think, really helped us to know exactly what needs doing for each week.

Seminar groups seem to have a much organised feel to them and we all know what we want to talk about.

Michelle Bonfield said...

I think many of us, including myself, have shared your logo frustrations. I agree that all of us designing the same thing has felt almost suffocating at times.

It would have been interesting to see how our designs had developed had we not be in this environment. In a sense I think it has stifled creativity as we have been so intent on comparing our designs to other peoples. Or there has almost been an unsaid 'accepted' concept for the design.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Sue,

By our very nature, we compare ourselves to others, and this is only exaggerated with our work; after all we are all really proud of the work we do and want it to be the best.

However, as we all now know, doing so can often lead to a lull in motivation. Its almost catch 22 because we are required to look at other peoples work and give feedback (as they are with ours)!

Inevitably, over time this will be something that we will all overcome.

The logo development process has created two camps within the class, those who can and those who are beyond frustration; like you, I am the later.

Good luck for your presentation, I have every faith in you.

--
Shaun Bellis