Tuesday 8 April 2008

Internet Explorer with Itunes Plugin..

When I first read about this assignment, I initially didn't think that designing a logo for a company would be as hard as it has been. Due to the whole class having the same company to design for, we're all coming up with similar ideas, therefore I find myself trying to find something unique that's never been thought of, but designer's block keeps getting in my way. To combat this, I bought myself a couple of Logolounge books and begin reading through them for inspiration, some development of the initial ideas I've had was done.. and slowly but surely, I may just be getting there with a final idea. A lot of development is still to be done though.

Being in a seminar group with a group of students who are highly motivated to do well is refreshing. I find that the motivation spurs me on more and makes me want to get on with my work even more than normal. The seminar groups are very productive, even though unfortunately I missed todays. Due to picking assignment 2, I am certainly feeling the pressure of a heavy workload which, as I keep saying, is a good thing as it will prepare me for the busy environment in the design industry.

This week we began to look at Style Guides and the content found within them. It's quite interesting to see just how stringent some companies are with the way they allow their logos to be displayed and just how indepth they are prepared to go just to make sure specific colours are used and so forth. Stationery is another element that is considered also - business card layouts, letterheads etc.

On Monday, another ex-student -
Mark Feather - came into class to talk about his experiences of looking for and finding a design job. I'm starting to find that as more and more ex-students come in, the same few features are being mentioned about how they found their job. Something I can begin to put into practise in the not so distant future.

This week is going to be an extremely busy week, my targets for next week are:

  • continue with developing my company logo, think about colours.
  • begin writing up corporate style guide, think about layout of logo and stationery.
  • incorporate my company logo into business card, letterhead and DL envelope designs.
  • catch up on notes from seminar that I missed.
Thanks for reading,
Sue

2 comments:

Mark said...

Hi Suzanne,

if you are struggling with logo design take a look here
http://www.lalogotheque.com/eng/

lots of logos.

Cheers Mark

Tom Smith said...

I, like you, am struggling more than expected to make a logo. I find it difficult to design a logo that really suits the company... I'm unfamiliar with the musical style in many ways, and despite collecting a few logo examples for similar record companies, I can't seem to get the style right. More work is definately needed.