Tuesday 16 October 2007

First one down...

So 12oclock has been and gone and my first deadline has been met. After the initial panic I had when I first received the assignment, due to my late start onto the course, I managed to knuckle down into some work and get it completed on time without any major emotional breakdown.

I was pleased with the final result that I brought together. After receiving feedback from classmates (first and second year), I designed a layout that was suitable for my chosen target audience and was aesthetically accessible. My biggest learning curve was accepting that the design that I was planning wasn’t intended for me, but for the audience that I was creating it for so therefore it didn’t matter whether or not I liked the design.

Seminar groups with Tom and James helped me immensely; they filled me with confidence in my work and encouraged me in places where I felt a little apprehensive. The small group talks lifted a little bit of the pressure placed on our shoulders, providing me with little hints and tasks I could do to improve my work.

Over the course of the assignment, I’ve learnt many things including how to productively manage my time with the use of weekly time plans. These were a major flaw for me to start with, as I didn’t manage my time effectively enough, but these were refined with practise over the weeks. My production schedule was adhered to which was very pleasing and it has filled me with confidence that I can perfect this for future assignments and therefore stick to future deadlines.

So for next term and another two assignments ready and waiting for our return on the 5th November. A new set of delivery requirements, target audiences and competitive analysis’ to get thinking about and preparing for, with the additional task of juggling both assignments at once. The biggest task for me here will be to not allow myself to concentrate more on one assignment more than the other; this is where my time planning will be extremely crucial for me.

And now it’s half term, time to relax and reflect on the first part of our course wondering what our result will be when we return. Will we refer or will we pass first time?

Thanks for reading
Sue

2 comments:

Julian Dyer said...

Good to see that you got all the work completed on time despite your late start on the course, Suzanne.

When it comes to running 2 assignments at once, it is all about the time planning as you say. It is very easy to get carried away with one (usually the more creative one) while the other gets left to the last minute. It sounds as though this should not be all that big an issue for you, as you have used a production schedule to manage your time for this assignment. Getting this right in the first week does help with your confidence a lot, as it puts the whole project in perspective.

Keep repeating the systems you have found useful, and develop new ones where you think you need to improve. I’m sure the next couple of assignments will go well if you keep your systems firing on all cylinders.

James Bell said...

I also think that it will be difficult to focus an equal amount of time on each of the two assignments.

I think that the I will try focus on the assignments over different days like we will be doing in college during my self study time as this will enable me to plan my time better.