Wednesday 26 September 2007

Design Mechanics

The presentation, by The Design Mechanics (Dave, Jemma and Oliver), at college today was certainly an eye opener. The standard of the work that they brought in was amazing and hearing about how the designers working environment is, is completely different to how I first imagined. The deadline that I have for this current assignment seems very tight to me, but in any design job, I would be given less time to produce the work and would have more than one job on a time (most likely).

I'm really pleased that I put myself forward for this opportunity and it has made me aware of the extra work I need to put into this assignment. This week I have assigned myself an extra slot to go over the work I've already done and add some content to it.

Thanks for reading.
Sue

8 comments:

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Suzanne,

This is a good evaluation of today's events.

We were very lucky to have this opportunity.

Suzanne Hullah said...

Hi Shaun,

thanks, today certainly was an eye opener for me! made me get into a more design mood when i came home, although i suffered designers block with all the ideas whirling round. couldn't get them down on paper so i'm hoping some sleep will sort that out for tomorrow.

Tom Smith said...

It was really interesting at college yesterday, very much a worthwhile exercise. It's interesting what you pointed about the time aspects in the "real world"- and makes me think: how much of the stuff we do in an assignment at college isn't considered in as much detail in a job? Would these time constraints impact negatively on a design? Or does pressure increase output?

Suzanne Hullah said...

very good point, some people work better under pressure and some don't, i suppose it just depends on the person.

thanks for the comment

Craig Burgess said...

Well if there's one single thing you've got to be good at in the design industry it's working under pressure.

It's probably the hardest skill to master too.

Suzanne Hullah said...

Thanks for the comment Craig.

Did you find the pressure of starting in a new industry like design was like you imagined, or was it better/worse than you imagined?

Craig Burgess said...

To be honest, pressure has never bothered me. I say to people all the time that I thrive on it, and it's true. I produce some of my best work when I know there's a deadline to meet.

Most of the time, I work in quite a relaxed environment, but when the point comes to switch it on you should be able to.

For me, the pressure is more than I imagined, but that's no bad thing.

Suzanne Hullah said...

Wow - great answer!

I think when it comes to a deadline and the pressure of it, i'm more disciplined with my time. But I don't always produce my best work. I'm one of those people that can come up with an idea, but it gets better and better the more time I spend on it, which in a design environment and designing a logo in one hour, probably wouldn't work.

Thanks for the comment