Tuesday 18 September 2007

The clock is ticking!

One week down, another four to go on this assignment [That's the plan!] and the ongoing [Sketchblog]. I have to admit, when I first saw the assignment sheets at the weekend I was scared. Even more scared when I came to college Monday morning and realised just how much work the rest of the class had already started on. But I can safely say, on my second day of college, I'm feeling more confident about it. I’ve got a fair amount of work done, considering my computer access wasn’t available all day Monday. I am pleased with the goals I chose and hope I can stick to them.

[That's the Plan!]
This assignment requires me to plan and design a website for a chosen briton from a list conducted. After narrowing down my list to six, I researched the individuals on the Internet and concluded that Henry VIII would be an interesting briton to base my assignment around. I've managed to chose some goals that I am satisfied with and complete my target audience.

This week I need to complete my competitive analysis, I've found two sites to compare: Tudor History and Kings and Queens of England. From viewing these sites, I need to compare and contrast them, using the SWOT analysis, against how my site is going to be.

[Sketchblog]
Up to press my sketchbook only contains notes taken from my first two lessons, therefore before next week I need to set some time aside for looking through magazines, papers and on the Internet for inspirational images to stick in my book. This could involve me going out and buying some magazines.

So for next week I need to complete:

  • Production Schedule
    Initially I was nervous about filling this in, but Steve’s pointed me in the right direction and I managed to write something in each week.
  • Sketchbook
    I've got to grasps with the sketchbook, but I could do with finding some images that inspire me to include in it. At the minute I’ve just got pages of notes.
  • Research Web Hosting/Domain Name
    Find an appropriate host that suits the website plan, including features for safety e.g. virus scanner, file backup. Comparing about 3 or 4 should give me good statistics to compare and contrast and then make a recommendation based on this.
  • Update Blog
    Evaluate my first week on HND Interactive Media.
    [Done!]
  • Complete my competitive analysis
    First draft. After finding one site I can use the SWOT analysis on, I need to find another one to evaluate and compare with how my website is going to be.
  • Prepare time plan for next week
    Ask Steve what he's got planned! Try to break down tasks into smaller tasks so that I'm not doing a big block of work without a break. I can do this with the aid of my time plan.

If I stick to my time plan and dedicate myself to my self-study. I will get these tasks completed for Monday. My confidence has grown in just 24 hours and I feel like I've learnt a lot so I'm more dedicated to the work load. The group seminar with Thomas and James, really helped me with my confidence issues and helped me to realise I can do this, it also cleared up the problem I was having with the Production Schedule.

Thanks for taking the time to read.
Sue

4 comments:

Gary Benn said...

hey, Just to let you know; I think everyone was scared on the first week of assignment. As for the time sheets - If you do manage to master them and stick to it, PLEASE TELL ME HOW!!!! I think that is the hardest thing I have done on the course yet.

Gary

Suzanne Hullah said...

haha, yes! i have to agree, once i manage to find out how to fill the things in properly, i'll be sure to let you know!

Webomatic said...

I no how you feel, the time sheet is the hardest thing to get used to. This weak i think i've filled it in correctly.(Hopfully)

Suzanne Hullah said...

i still don't think i've got the 'nack' of it just yet!