Tuesday 5 February 2008

Boost of confidence!

This week has taken some of the pressure off of me, after receiving some feedback on my referral work, I can now look forward to the hand in date knowing that I'm on the right track. My restoration is a lot better this time, the colours I had chosen previously made the image appear bland so they needed some work. I'm confident that I can hand my work in on time, as well as keeping on top of the current assignments.

My website is altering slightly, after some feedback I received yesterday, it was suggested that I horizontally flip the header so that I can make good use of the space and align things properly. The current layout seems a little harsh when it comes to alignment. This shouldn't take me much time to do, I have already done a template and validated it to XHTML 1.0 Strict so the next step is to begin entering my content.

During the course of this week and next week, I'll be considering the questions I should include on my usabililty testing questionnaire. Testing the website with people outside college will provide me valuable feedback from my target audience. For this I have already got 4 people lined up.

Today we had a 2 hour timed task in which we had to design the label for small tube of paint called Hokai. This timed task went a lot better than the previous one for FontBook, I planned my time a lot more efficiently which enabled me to hand my work in 20 minutes early - which is how I like things to work out. I really liked the finished idea that I produced and was pleased with the whole process from roughs to digital product.

My presentation/typography assignment is going well, I feel that I'm on top of everything. My presentation needs practising a lot more so that I am confident with the information that I have included - so that I can hopefully recite from memory.

During half term, I'd like to:

  • Finish my website, upload it and begin my testing. Gain feedback on the forum too.
  • Get as many of my target audience as I can to do my usability questionnaire.
  • Practise, practise, practise my presentation. Know my content inside out.

Thanks for reading.
Sue


4 comments:

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Sue

You appear to be handling the added pressure of the referral work really well. I know first hand how time consuming it can be.

The timed task this time has been enjoyed by just about everyone. I think that the tensions involved in the previous task actually assisted make this one much more enjoyable.

From sitting next to you I have unavoidably see much of your work regarding your presentation and subsequent handouts; as a result I must admit that I am now really looking forward your turn at the front of the class.

I am pleased that you have said you are going to "practise, practise, practice... know my content inside out"

--
Paraphrased Quote of the week...

"There is no substitute for actually knowing what you are talking about" - Steve Smith

Victoria Fisher said...

It’s good to hear everything’s going good with your referral work. From doing my referral work I have noticed an improvement in the work I have redone. Even thought I would prefer to pass my work first time, don’t mind redoing the referred work. I prefer learning how to fix mistakes I have made, than just been told about them because I properly wouldn’t take it in as much as actually redoing it.

Like you I am going to try and ask some people out of college to use my web site and answer the usability questionnaire. The only thing is I have to find people that are going to tell the truth about what they think to the web site and not tell me what they think I want to hear.

Shaun Bellis said...

Vicky has raised some good points there.

Having friends and family fill out the usability questionnaires leaves us very susceptible to getting incorrect results (i.e. they will put down the answers they think that you want to hear or that their answers will get you a get you a better grade).

I think that a brief explanation of the questionnaires purpose and the repercussions of false data should reduce this happening.

I certainly know that I want people to be as honest as possible when filling out my questionnaires; as I will be with everyone else’s.

--
Shaun Bellis

John Browne said...

All seems good in the land of Sue. Your finishing refferal work, completing current tasks and till taking in time to offer free websites to local business's. Mind you, a lot of them need it.

You seem to be working well already so I guess all I can say, is Keep up the good work and try not to let out of college activities interfere with what is important.....