Tuesday 26 February 2008

Getting things finished and tied up

As the forthcoming assignment deadline creeps nearer and nearer, I am more confident that I have ever been this close to handing in date. I suppose this is due to the weekly practise I have had with my time planning - which means I can now precisely plan things more accurately. External factors are no longer a problem for me which means I get my work done and on time.

Due to some hosting issues, my A5 website will be down for a few days while I swap over my nameservers/domain. Swapping domains should allow me to iron out the problems that I was having with my feedback form. For some reason on my old hosting, the emails containing my feedback information weren't being sent.

My 'Revert to Type' assignment is going good, each week I've been faced with a different timed task and each week I've managed to come up with a design that I'm pleased with. Each of the tasks has also been submitted at least 15 minutes before the deadline - which I hope I can manage on the final tasks next week.

This weeks task was to design a newspaper layout for some content we had been given about Jonathan Gee (You can see my design below). I found this task more challenging due to the previous ones due to the fact we had to fit things like gutter spacing and bleed areas. The text of all columns had to line up, so therefore my design had to be accurate in all areas.

Gee Newspaper Design

With only being a week away from deadline, this week will be a 'getting things tied up and finished' week. This will mainly be focused at A5 as A6 won't be fully complete until my journal entry next week.

So for next week, I need to:

  • Write an evaluation for A5, reflect on compromises and changes made to original web plan.
  • Write up merit & distinction criteria for both assignments.
  • Get my usability testing questionnaires and results ready.
  • Ensure I have plenty of plastic wallets for my A6 assignment!

Thanks for reading,
Sue

3 comments:

Tom Smith said...

Glad you can describe this week as a 'getting things tied up and finished' week. That's the best kind of week to end an assignment on- there's less pressure that way. Although of course, with the timed task next week, it won't be a fully pressure free week!

I can see myself forgetting plastic wallets next Tuesday, that'd be absolutely typical. Remind me next Monday won't you... and bring some spare just in case ;).

Rebecca Bradley said...

Your news paper design looks really good. I like the way that you have faded the picture in behind the title text I think this looks really eye catching.

James Bell said...

The use of the image within the title is really affective at drawing you into the article.

I like the font you have chosen for the title as well. I don't think I have ever used Showcard Gothic before but I works well with the design.

The only thing I would say is that the column on the right looks wider than the left one.

I'm sure it isn't but because of the large difference in the amount of text in the two columns it does have that appearance.