Friday 21 December 2007

1/4 of the way...

This first semester has gone surprisingly fast, so fast I can hardly believe it’s already December with Christmas just around the corner. Even though I started the course two weeks after the rest of the class, I feel part of the group and I’ve made friends with everyone – something which I initially thought would be hard as I’d been out of college education for a couple of years now.

At the beginning of the course, I had a limited amount of knowledge regarding the design process. Apart from knowing how to use some of the software at a basic level, the rest of the process was new to me. Even though I had already built a few websites, I now realise how badly they were put together with the amount of knowledge I’ve learnt in such a short time on the course.

There are certain aspects of the course that I didn’t expect; I knew that there was a requirement of a sketchbook, but I simply thought that this was just for drawing our ideas and designs. I didn’t quite expect the major impact the sketchbook would have on assignments and my research. At first, I found it quite difficult to use and didn’t quite grasp the need for it but as the course as progressed, I’ve found myself using it more and more. This was also the same with the blog, although I’ve wrote blogs in the past they were on a more personal level. Writing a blog about one particular subject seemed ‘weird’ to me but something I settled into pretty quickly.

The level of work involved is much much more than I originally anticipated. The huge step up from FE to HE is certainly something I felt in the first few weeks on the course, but I’ve enjoyed the challenge and passing the first two units helped to confirm that this was the right course for me.

Overall, I’ve found this course really enjoyable. I enjoy going to college each week learning about something I have a real interest in and doing work that serves a purpose, rather than doing it for the sake of ticking it off a syllabus list. Hopefully this will continue during the remaining 3 semesters and provide me with extensive knowledge of the design industry reading for employment.

Main Goals

- Short Term
By the end of semester two, I hope to have achieved at least 1 distinction in my work. By pushing myself to achieve the highest grades, I will reach my full potential and prepare myself more for what’s ahead on the second year. By continuing to ‘mess about’ with the software associated with design and desktop publishing software, I’ll become familiar with the layouts and menus so that I can find my way around them with ease.

- Medium Term
By the end of the two years of the HND course, I’m hoping to have gain enough knowledge and awareness of design to gain employment AND to continue onto the third year. I’m hoping to be able to find myself a job that will allow me to continue onto the third year of the course. Hopefully an employer will allow me the one day off a week to attend college. Fingers crossed!

- Long Term
After completing the third year and gaining myself a year’s worth of experience in a design job (if all goes to plan!). I’ll be able to take my experience and qualification forward with me to get myself a design job more suited to my needs. For this, I’ll be able to build myself a portfolio of the three years on my Interactive Media course to aid me at interview with prospective employers.

In summary:
  • A short term goal of achieving my best potential on assignments will aid me in the second year of the course. Once I reach the higher grades, I can use these as a benchmark for future assignments and gain my full potential.
  • By completing the two years, I will be prepared for employment AND to move onto the third degree year. By finding myself an employer willing to let me have the one day off a week for college, I’ll gain design experience while learning, therefore beating the catch 22 situation most design students experience.
  • Once I’ve achieved enough experience in my junior role with a design agency, I can use my qualification and my experience to move myself forward in the design industry – maybe achieving myself a more senior position.

Thanks for reading.
Sue

9 comments:

Mark Torrington said...

I hope you find a company that will allow you attend the college course on day release. I would have appreciated such an opportunity, however apparently I am just too useful that they cannot spare me and there was I thinking, ‘nobody is indispensable’.

Sounds like you have your next five years all mapped out. I would like to take this opportunity to say, I hope it all goes to plan for you.

Rebecca Bradley said...

It shows that you have thourght about where you want to be in a few years time and structured them to suit your needs.

Tom Smith said...

I think the point you made about the transition from FE to HE is a good point... but I think it's totally different with our course. It's much more demanding than other HE courses I'm aware of. All my friends at Uni are astounded about the amount of work we have to put in.

Whilst this is hard, I think it puts us in a really good position for the future- we'll have a much better concept of how the industry works.

Michelle Bonfield said...

Its good to see you have such focus for your future goals. You have obvious determination, shown in the way you manage your busy life style, so I'm sure you'll achieve everything you set out to do!

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Sue

A very clear post from you there. You are right, the time has gone waaaaaay too fast so far.

I suppose you could say that time fly’s when you are having fun. I think that it would be perhaps more accurate to say that time fly’s when you have your teeth stuck into something and enjoying it.

I believe that we have all learned a fantastic amount over this first semester. I cannot wait to see what the rest of the year brings.

Getting used to the sketchbooks I feel was a large task for all of us; however, I believe that we are all now in a position were we understand its importance and benefits.

As Mark has rightly said, I really hope that you do find a company willing to get you release to college; however, I am unsure how many companies will be willing to do that.

Equally I agree with Tom's I too know people who are doing / have done Degree's and are shocked by the amount work we are expected to do.

The pressures and expectations will inevitably put us in a stronger position for when it comes to employment.

--
Thanks

Shaun Bellis

Anonymous said...

Approximately two and a half hours until comments are closed for Semester 1.

Andrew said...

Wow, Suzanne you really do have a life plan; where does more kids and marriage fit into all this? I'm surprised there was no mention.

I'm unsure whether you well find a company that will allow you to go on a day release scheme, though fingers crossed.. I hope it works out for you. They would want to improve your skills, as you do personally for the betterment of the company so many it is a possibilty to find one that will give you the freedom of training once your already on the payrole. I can't think of much better things than being paid to learn, especially when it's learning as we are now.

Anonymous said...

Semester 1 Journal Comments Closed.

Gary Benn said...

I think the the strongest thing about or course is that it is so Industry focused with a very specific goal at the end of it. Other courses make the transition from FE to HE but we are really making a 2 year transition from FE to industry. Thats the way I see it anyway.