Tuesday 15 January 2008

A new year, new semester.

The feeling of dread that accompanied me throughout the Christmas holidays has now been laid to rest and the realisation of my assignment results has sunk in. Admittedly, I initially thought that I had referred both of my assignments and that I would be spending the first half of this term juggling four assignments instead of the preferred two. Instead, I am juggling three – my A4 assignment needs some work doing to it, which I completed expected. Over the duration of last term, my time planning went down the pan. External factors beyond my control meant that I wasn’t able to keep up with my schedule, which meant in the end I did whatever it would take just to be able to hand my work in on time. Due to those external factors, I’ve been given an insight as to what could happen when I’m in employment while working to a deadline. Staying up all night so that a deadline can be achieved was a tense but worthwhile experience, although, I’d try to avoid it where possible in the future.

Back to college and a new semester has brought us two new assignments in the shape of:

A5 – Builder
This assignment is a continuation of A3 – Back to BASIC. It requires me to build the website that I planned using Adobe Dreamweaver and put it through rigorous testing to ensure that it works fully. Usability testing will be needed for this, so feedback will be needed in the shape of a feedback form.

This assignment is the one I’ve been looking forward to the most. Since the beginning of the course I have been wanting to dive straight into the building of a website. Until now, I didn’t realise the sheer amount of work that goes into a website before an authoring program such as Adobe Dreamweaver is even opened.

A6 – Revert to Type
A portfolio assignment consisting of a number of tasks. This assignment will be another challenging one for me. Typography is another area of creative media that I know nothing about. The final piece of Revert to Type will be a five minute presentation on my notable typographer – Stanley Morison.

I’m starting to get used to the idea of presentations now, last time I managed to nail my timing so that can hopefully be a skill I can carry forward. A few factors could be worked on, the fact that I like playing with my hand out would be a good start and sounding breathless as I speak (breathless through sheer panic!). Already the ideas for the visual aids are flowing, so I can’t wait to get cracking on with these.

From receiving my feedback, I’ve realised a lot of things about myself and my work. So over the next term I want to improve:

  • Time Planning – my planning in general isn’t too bad overall, but I want to make it more rigid. I’ve decided that throughout the week, I will do at least 4 hours a night of work (once my daughter is in bed), this will ensure that a minimum 20 hours per week is done and should make sure that I keep on top of things. I will then have my weekends free to have family time or continue to do work if needed.
  • Referencing – although I haven’t had a problem writing down the references that I’ve used to include in my work. I find that sometimes I’m almost forgetting to write down the date I’ve accessed the websites. From now on, I should write down all websites that I’ve been on, regardless of whether or not I have used anything from them in my work. This will show that I am capable of deciding what makes good information and will enable me to cross reference.
  • Check my work more thoroughly – stupid mistakes were pointed out today that when I looked at them made me think “Well, that was stupid. What a silly mistake to make”. Therefore I need to set more time aside before submission date to proof read through my work and leave myself extra time to amend mistakes, just in case any are made. This will help me to decrease the number of mistakes I’m making.

So, with a lot of work to be getting on with, my time planning for the next few weeks will be definitely over 24 hours of self study per week. I feel that this will help me to get out of the ‘referral trap’ that was mentioned in class yesterday.

Thanks for reading.
Sue

6 comments:

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Sue

I feel that the apprehensions and 'feeling of dread' is something that was shared throughout the class over the holiday period.

Whilst the majority of us have shown improvement in our work, myself in particular still has a long way to go to get to where we need / want to be.

From talking to you on a more personal level, I know about the circumstance beyond your control you have mentioned in this journal. I believe that you are doing fantastic regardless.

I too know what its like to pull an 'all nighter'. Whilst it may be required every now and again, I feel that the quality of the work suffers as a result [speaking from experience].

The new assignments are looking to be very interesting. I also have been itching to get on with a build and hopefully pick up as many tips as I can on the way.

Typography is an area in which I also have very limited experiences but once. However, now that it has been brought to my attention and its importance, I cannot wait to start this unit.

I do feel as though I fell victim to the 'referral trap'. However, with some hard work and quality self study hours that this can be avoided this time around.

P.S.
A very well structured journal [as usual].

--
Thanks

Shaun Bellis

Mark Torrington said...

Effective time management is sometimes difficult to schedule when you are influenced by factors beyond your control. It is impossible to do this without setting realistic targets, I appreciate that 4 hours a night of work is adequate, but like me you will feel weary since looking after children is so tiring. I have personally found the calendar function in google really useful, creating a production plan that maintains good working practice. I could not manage my workload at work without a gantt chart now. It organises my workflow, highlighting forthcoming activities and deadlines.

Have you used del.icio.us yet for referencing? I have found it really useful. With one click of a button you can bookmark the website you have visited.

Tom Smith said...

Sue, I can see where you're coming from saying you want to do up to 24 hours of self study a week for a few weeks- but I assume this is only whilst you catch up with your referral work?

If you continue with this after the referral work I reckon you'll end up absolutely shattered and the quality of your work could actually suffer as a result.

With your referencing, I think it's ideal to write down every site you take some information off as you take the info. As well as all the other details (date of publishing, author etc.) at the same time. On A3, I forgot to get all of the referencing info and found myself having to waste time revisiting to get all the details. I won't be doing that again!

Michelle Bonfield said...

I think allocating set times each day to complete work is an excellent strategy for success. However, four hours seems an awful lot for one evening. Reducing the the time down will make it more physically realistic and help your motivation!Plus it will install some urgency in the tasks you do undertake.

I know I am definitely less productive when I know I have a long period of time to complete tasks.

Gary Benn said...

Hi Sue,

Fist of all well done on your A3 pass! Although you received the same grade as your A2 this still shows signs of improvement as you have stepped up the mark as more was required and in a greater depth.

After talking to you in class I understand you have great difficulties with the time planning, which to some is a totally new way of working.

I understand that it is somewhat harder for you to plan your time whilst having other commitments and unforeseen problems beyond your control.

Perhaps you could implement a new format of time planning, such as a computerised gant chart, so long as it includes the required information I think this should be fine.

One thing I have started to implement within my weekly time plans is an additional tick box (on the same sheet you use) labelled self study. When I am planning my time I always tick the box for any work which is completed out side of college hours.

I have found this very useful in the aiding of time management. I have also added another box at the bottom of each sheet where I enter the total hours I have done.

Hope any of this helps.

Gary

James Bell said...

I think everyone, at the start of the course, felt that we were spending very little time on the practical work and just focusing on the planning but I think now we can all see the benefit of this.

The planning of the website in A3 will be invaluable in A5 and dramatically reduce the amount of work and time required when building the website.

With regards to the time planning I like to create a check list of all the things I want to complete in my self study time. Previously this has been more a mental checklist but I am starting to think that this may work better if I write it down and actually cross of the things I have done.

This will allow me to immediately see what I have done at what I need to do and therefore I will be able to plan my time better.