Tuesday 20 November 2007

Clone, Heal, Rinse, Repeat

Image manipulation is a topic that I've always been interested in but never had the skills to put into practise before. When we received the image that we had to manipulate, I immediately set about trying to fix various parts of it before quitting the image and beginning all over again. After three false starts, I decided that there had to be another way to approach this task. After what felt like an eternity staring at the computer thinking of better ways to tackle the different aspects of each task, I made a design decision and started on the torn corner.

For the rest of the week, I'm going to have to keep messing about with the different techniques mentioned to us in the lecture this morning and see which one gives me the best effects on the photograph. Then once I'm satisfied I can move onto the application of colour, which will be hard. TO get the correct colour of certain aspects will take some time.

Yesterday, after realising I'd set about my A3 assignment the wrong way, I had to bring myself back to the point where I was meant to be at, rather than getting ahead of myself. In today’s seminar group, I've realised a few key pointers about the way I want to do this website. Although, in my opinion, I've got a good competitive analysis, I don't want my delivery requirements to let me down again. My target audience is a lot stronger than last time, I’ve even gone as far as naming her! Yes, her!

Things to improve on: I really need to begin to improve my time planning. At the minute, my self study time between the two assignments is a little all over the place. I need to continue the practise made in college time and devote half of my time to one assignment and half to the other assignment.

For next week I need to complete:

  • Finish writing up my delivery requirements, making sure that I have a more in-depth web hosting comparison this time. Concentrate on the technologies that are going to be used.
  • Begin the content aspect of the assignment; try to get around 50 words for all 40 terms. While doing so, collect images from open source/free web sites if able to do so. If not, email the owner for authorisation to use the image.
  • Continue with restoring the photograph ready for formative feedback in seminar groups next week, add colour.
  • Print off image compression essay, also for seminar groups.

And to finish off this blog, could I just say congratulations to Mark on the birth of his baby girl!

7 comments:

Tom Smith said...

I agree that the application of colour will be hard. It'll be the most difficult aspect of the whole assignment I reckon.

A lot of experimentation will be needed!

Mark Torrington said...

Add colour to B/W images is easily achieved, if you utilise the Luminosity blending mode option in your layers palette.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Sue

As I have said in a few of the other people’s journal entries this week, I think that everyone is enjoying this part of the A4 assignment.

It is great to see that you are still giving attention to the A3 assignment also.

To Mark ----> Thank you for the tip on colouring; one thing that I feel its important to remember here is that this is the first time that many of us have done anything like this so any pieces of advice would be very much appreciated.


--
Many thanks

Shaun Bellis

Gary Benn said...

thanks again for the tip mark.

You look like you have done this kind of thing before sue. You were just working your way through wizzing down the screen. I get bored of doing that and my eyes don't want to play so I have been doing it randomly but it takes much longer.

I think as Steve said the other day, about the self study time, just keep them completely separate like in collage time. Do the two assignments on different days.

Anonymous said...

@ Mark: How does the Luminosity technique work? I've always used the 'Color' blending option.

Michelle Bonfield said...

The delivery requirements is the thing which gives me the biggest headache! I too need to do a more in-depth web host comparison but find it hard to knowing where to start.

I'm planning on tackling it tomorrow so, if you've already done it, have you got any tips? What kind of specification do we require for this website in terms of traffic, space etc. What are these figures based on?

Any help is greatly received from anyone! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.