Tuesday 11 March 2008

Designing Dislikes

This week has really provided me a valuable insight into the design industry. Having to listen to the music that Steve provided us with over and over again certainly wasn’t my cup of tea. If I’m honest, the music was that peaceful and quiet that it almost made me fall asleep the first time I listened to it. But by doing this exercise, I have learnt that you don’t always design for something that you like or have interests in. Therefore, I have learnt to switch off my personal tastes and design regardless of my opinions.

One of my reading week tasks has been to create some ‘mood boards’ relating to the music I have been listening to. At first I found the idea of these a bit silly, but as I’ve been putting them together throughout the course of the day, I’ve come to like them and discovered how much of a great visual aid they will be to me. I decided to do three story boards relating to my tracks; each one shows the three main themes I feel are present at some point throughout the four tracks.

Mood Board

The first theme was a calm, almost dreamy track which helped me to picture clouds and water in my mind. Colours schemes appropriate for this would be shades of blue accompanied with white to create a tranquil theme. For this, I think that some form of ‘flowing’ font would be suitable, therefore a script font like Mistral or Staccato would be perfect. Forte would also be suitable.

Mood Board

After track one, the piece progressed into what reminded me of the jungle. A percussion instrument is present and sounds almost like bamboo sticks being struck together. Obviously this kind of theme would go perfect with different shades of green. Typefaces that have a jungle like appearance would be best, so for this I stuck Papyrus onto my board, I also think Eccentric would also be a suitable font although it lacks that jungle appearance.

Mood Board

For the final theme, I couldn’t help but think of Arabia, sand and snake charming. An instrument that is present during the final 15 minutes or so sounds exactly like a shake charmer’s flute and this brought me to thinking about sand and pyramids, camels and sunny climates. An appropriate colour scheme would be oranges and yellows, warm colours to depict the sunny climes the final part reminds me of.

Throughout the past two days, I’ve been collecting logos in preparation for the final assignment of year one. From what I know so far, this is going to be a big assignment and I’m really looking forward to it. It will be nice to include all the aspects of design that we’ve learnt so far into one assignment and really show the amount of knowledge I have gained since starting the course back in September.

I have really enjoyed this reading week, it has provided me with a challenge and some music which I didn’t really like, but has shown me that I can put my mind to something, even if I don’t like the object I’m designing for. A valuable experience.

Thanks for reading,
Sue

3 comments:

Andrew said...

Seems like you've really got into your music, as hard as it was for you and properly disected it. Don't forget to try find a real natural connection with your music; and not just noting all the technical points down. Though I guess that really is easier said than done, especially for the fact you don't like your particular piece of music.

I can really get a feel for what it's like though, looking at your moodboards and the way you've described it. I'm quite glad I got the music I did, I think with your music I'd of been in abit of a whole and needed some digging out.

John Browne said...

Hey nice work, looks like your heading in the right direction there sue. I like the way you have described each task. In my moodboard (collage) I tried to sum up the entire album, which was probably not the best of ideas looking at it now.

If you think about it we hear music we dont like, everyday. In a shoping centre, an elevator, a taxi home etc. But non of it is realy noticed.

From this weeks tasks I feel as though music such as this will be heard of a lot more and payed attention to. Doing so may just give more encouragement when designing in future. Not just for own purposes, but for calm themed tasks appointed by a future client.

Victoria Fisher said...

When I was listening the music I found it hard to find word to describe the music therefore collecting thing for the mood boards was hard to do before I got words to explain what the music was like. Your mood boards show clearly what ideas you had of the music, the colour schemes, images and fonts all suit each other really well.